"The Snow She" by Christal Cooper

"The Snow She" by Christal Cooper
Painting, The Snow Child, by Christal Cooper

Monday, November 9, 2015

Poem about The Night Of Broken Glass

Christal Cooper                                                caccoop@aol.com      https://www.facebook.com/christalann.ricecooper?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all                                                           
Poem 739 Words                                                                         Image and poem copyright by Christal Rice Cooper                                                                              
*The poet is using poetic license in having The Big Jew wear a star;  Jews were not required to wear stars until September 19, 1941. 
**The below scriptures from Ezekiel 37: 1 -14 are read during The Night of Broken Glass ceremony



With the hand of ADONAI upon me, ADONAI carried me out by his Spirit and set me down in the middle of the valley, and it was full of bones.  He had me pass by all around them - there were so many bones lying in the valley, and they were so dry!  He asked me, “Human being, can these bones live?” I answered, “ADONAI ELOHIM!  Only you know that!”  Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones! Say to them, ‘Dry bones! Hear what ADONAI has to say!  To these bones ADONAI ELOHIM says, “I will make in you. You will live, and you will know that I am ADONAI.”  So I prophesied as ordered; and while I was prophesying, there was bone in its proper place.   As I watched, ligaments grew on them, in them.  Next he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath! Prophesy, human being! Say to the breath that ADONAI ELOHIM says, ‘Come from the four winds, breath; and breathe on these slain, so that they can live.’”  So I prophesied as ordered, and the breath came into them, and they were alive!  They stood up on their feet, a huge army!  Then he said to me, “Human being! These bones are the whole house of Isra’el; and they are saying, ‘Our bones have dried prophesy; say to them that ADONAI ELOHIM says, ‘My people! I will open your graves and make you get up out of your graves, and I will bring you into the land of Isra’el.  Then you will know that I am ADONAI - when I have opened your graves and made you get up out of your graves, my people!  I will put my Spirit in you; and you will be alive. Then I will place you in your own land; and you will know that I, ADONAI, have spoken, and that I have done it,’ says ADONAI

The Big Jew With The Mathematical Mind*
November 10, 1938 1:20 a.m.

100 percent German.
100 percent Jewish.
100 percent Rich.
100 percent Big.

Six feet, four inches tall, 225 pounds.

in an Orvis Steinbock Tyrolean trench coat
purchased at Stein’s Mens’ Dress Shop
for ten German golden marks.

It was after midnight
1:20 a.m. to be precise,

standing outside his bank
Jacquier and Securius,
valued at over five million German golden marks
in stocks,

just around the corner from Gerber’s Grocery,
In the leafy Grunewald district,
on Number 5 Rosenstrasse,
near the Red Castle,
and the Neve Synagogue,

where he had just come from
with his employees,
to pray for deliverance
from the darkness he knew
was coming.

He had a lifetime warranty
on the windows of glass
from France Meyer & Company,
but never had to use it.
Until now.

His bank of glass,
mutilated-
like a piece of meat, bloody,

ground into shards of glass insects
crawling-

the reflections of their fires,
crawling.

His trench coat looked more like a
Nazi-supporting German,
than a wealthy Jew.

But he felt the six-pointed star,
embroidered into the lapel.

All ye vermin, come!
Come into the city block!

His four employees
jumped like grasshoppers
into the city block,
crushed together holding each other’s
breath.

Vermin in the trench coat!
Into the city block!

It took three men to overpower him.
He labeled them by height
Nazi 1, Nazi 2, Nazi 3.

They tied him like a dog for fighting
to a 12 x 12 cement block
weighting 59 pounds
made at the Heidelberg Cement Company
located at Number 40 Rosenstrasse.

He remained
straighter than a vertical line,
stiller than stone-
Twenty five lashes for resisting.

Another one,
he couldn’t tell how tall he was,
and looked into his eyes,
cut off in certain places,
Like a diamond.  Cut.
The glass crushed beneath his boots.

After four lashes,
he bled.
Stop!  Please!

Stop!  You want me to stop?
Well, we’ll have to start over, won’t we?

Eight more lashes.

Stop?  You want me to stop?

Twelve.

Stop?

The Nazi with the cut off eyes
added two tablespoons salt,
two tablespoons pepper
to his back,
like a rack of sacrificed lamb.

He was dragged away
by Nazi 1 and 2.

Nazi 3 and the man with the cut off eyes
carried the concrete block.

Neither the sacrificed lamb nor the block
were ever seen again.

*The poet is using poetic license in having The Big Jew wear a star;  Jews were not required to wear stars until September 19, 1941. 


  



Other Poems Written By Chris Rice Cooper
































No comments:

Post a Comment