Chris Rice Cooper

Chris Rice Cooper
Chris, September 18, 2017

Monday, December 21, 2015

Persona Poem By General George Patton 11-11-1885 to 12-21-1945


Christal Cooper – Poem 204 Words

*Poem Excerpt from “gone sane”
**Copyright privilege granted by C.A. Cooper


General George Patton Speaks:
I Am
November 11, 1885 – December 21, 1945

David after Goliath,
William the Conqueror,
General Grant,

no ordinary god in this goddamn war.
My helmet shows the scars.
Ivory pistol, Cuban cigar
too big for Moses’
so-called burning bush.

The giant went down
with three small stones.
The stallion took one
on my way to Messina,
while reading iambic pentameter.
50,000 of my own bastards want to kill me.
Lucifers – they want to be god.
I am.

I tell the Bishop of Sicily
with the big black Bible
asking me if I read the book,
Every goddamn day.
I know
what he’s thinking.
How can I be holy?
Ike says I don’t know
To keep my mouth shut.

A nun lectured me,
said my onion eyes were open
in prayer, and for not kneeling
on the kneeling bench.
There were a few things
I could have said-
but, I am

a gentleman,
saluting with my cane.
But once the hat comes off,
they are all yellow bastards.
I don’t kneel to passive saints,
or some goddamn scholar
who can’t shoot.
I’ll kneel at a man’s bed,
place my purple beating heart
beside his head,
whisper something holy in his ear.
The best, that’s what
I am.





Other Poems Written By Chris Rice Cooper


































Photo Description and Copyright Information

Photo 1.
Jacket cover of “gone sane”

Photo 2.
Image of General George Patton by Renee Sheridan.  Copyright by Christal Rice Cooper.

Photo 3.
Lt. Col. Lyle Bernard, CO, 30th Inf. Regt., (right) a prominent figure in the second daring amphibious landing behind enemy lines on Sicily's north coast, discusses military strategy with Lt. Gen. George S. Patton (Left). Near Brolo. 1943. (Army ) Exact Date Shot Unknown . NARA FILE #: 111-SC-246532 WAR & CONFLICT BOOK #: 1024.  This image is a work of a U.S. Army soldier or employee, taken or made as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.

Photo 4.
US Army Generals Omar Bradley, Dwight Eisenhower, and George S. Patton.
This image is a work of a U.S. Army soldier or employee, taken or made as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.

Photo 5.
General Patton with Pvt. Frank A. Reed, East Dephon Mass, 7th Infantry 3rd Division suffering from shrapnel wound. Casualties are waiting to be evacuated by air.
This image is a work of an employee of the United States Farm Security Administration or Office of War Information domestic photographic units, taken as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.

Photo 6.
General George S Patton.

This image is a work of a U.S. Army soldier or employee, taken or made as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment