CHRIS RICE COOPER is a newspaper/fiction writer, poet, photographer, painter. CRC Blog is an INCLUSIVE & NON-PROFIT BLOG acknowledging ALL voices, ALL individuals, ALL political views, ALL philosophies, ALL religions including Islamism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism, Agnosticism, Atheism. She has a B.S. in Criminal Justice & completed her workshops required for her Master’s in Creative Writing. She lives in St. Louis. CRC website http://chrisricecooper.com/
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Frida Kahlo & Diego Rivera Married 84 Years Ago Today!
Friday, August 16, 2013
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ELVIS HAS LEFT THE EARTH.
“I was devastated. I was down the street from my house walking home (I was living in Warner Robins, Georgia at the time). I was walking in front of my next door neighbors house. My friend Steve was walking down his driveway, saw me & said "Sharon, did you hear the news"? I said no. He just blurted it out "Elvis died today." Well I didn’t believe him. He said, "It’s true Sharon." I ran across my front yard, jumped on the porch, and flung open the door, expecting my mom to be in the kitchen, my brother Stephen in his room, and my dad out back in his garage; but when I pushed the door open they were all in the living room staring at the TV with a look on their faces of sheer shock. I just screamed, “NOOOO!!!” I walked in slowly, turned around to face the TV and there was Elvis’s picture, with the date of his birth and the day of his death. My whole family had tears in their eyes, and I just became inconsolable. I saw all the hundreds of people gathered on Elvis Presley Blvd in front of his home, people crying, people fainting, the traffic... once I saw that I believed it, but yet I couldn’t. My brother and I had tickets to see him in concert in Macon in October, just 6 weeks away. It was going to be our first time to see him in person. I don’t remember how long I cried, but it was days. Even recalling it now I have tears in my eyes. His death affected me like nothing else in my life ever has (except of course the death of my youngest daughter).
My brother took me to a "tribute to Elvis" concert at the Macon Coliseum that took the place of the real thing. I’ll never forget that he did that for me as long as I live. In fact that is the sweetest thing Stephen ever did for me. I was just 2 months shy of my 9th birthday when Elvis died, too young really to be such a hard core fan; however, because of Stephen’s influence, Elvis's music was all I was ever exposed too.”
PHOTO DESCRIPTION AND COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
1. Elvis in Jailhouse Rock 1957. Public Domain.
2. Sharon Carlson with pet kitty Bella. Copyright by Sharon Carlson.
3. Sharon Carlson and Stephen Talley, who passed away on April 13, 2012. Copyright by Sharon Carlson.
4. Sharon Carlson's Elvis Monopoly game. Copyright by Sharon Carlson.
5.Elvis performing his 1968 Comeback Special on June 29, 1968. Fair Use Under the U.S. Copyright Law.
6a. Kate Hendrix. Copyright by Kate Hendrix
6. Belinda Hughes. Copyright by Belinda Hughes.
7. Rena Jones. Copyright by Rena Jones.
8. Elvis meeting President Richard Nixon at the White House Oval Office on December 21, 1970. Public Domain.
10. Glenn and Dawn Richard. Copyright by Glenn and Dawn Richard.
11. Daughter Jennifer (left) and Cindy Shelton (right). Copyright by Cindy Shelton.
13. Elvis's last album to be released while alive, Moody Blue jacket cover.
14. Elvis's resting place at Graceland's Meditation Garden. Attributed by Daniel Shwer. Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported.
15. Child Bride by Suzanne Finstad jacket cover of Elvis and Prisclla on their wedding day.